Friday, January 6, 2012

Goals

I read allot of homeschooling blogs. I love them, and some of the advice given is mid year (now) re-evaluate your curriculum and see how it is working towards your ultimate homeschool goals. As I read this (multiple times in multiple blogs) I thought not about my curriculum but, what is my ultimate homeschool goal?
Let's start with the reasons I homeschool:
  • To give my daughter the education I never had.
  • To allow my daughter to start school when she is ready and not wait for the state mandated start time.
  • To give my daughter individual attention and support and never feel left out in a big classroom, where she is afraid to ask a question.
  • To have an education that includes the Bible and not just as another subject, but as part of history, science, etc...
  • To give my daughter the desire to always learn
So next step is a goal. This is where I am having difficulty. I don't want a negative statement in the goal, To keep our daughter away from the pitfalls of public or private education. I don't want to sound too pretentious either, To give our daughter a well rounded education of excellence.
How do I balance these things? Should I even care? I want to keep my daughter from what I experienced and what my husband experienced in our schooling days. I also want her to be smarter than I can imagine. Why should I hide these things in our goal?

Schooling Goal: To educate our daughter in a way that will increase her knowledge and love of learning beyond her school years.

Does that say everything, probably not. Will it be tweaked over the years possibly. Most likely I will forget about it for now. It's part of me and who I am and why I am doing this. Did I need to write it down, no, but it was a good exercise for me. Now why do you choose homeschool, public school or private school? What is your educational goal for your child(ren)?

1 comment:

  1. I think everyone's schooling goal is the same-- to have your children want to learn and enjoy learning and to keep that curiousity throughout life. Always wondering, always learning, always teaching, always communicating, always loving.

    Life balance needs to be learned. There will always be someone smarter, faster, prettier, but if you enjoy your life and are satisfied with your materials things and not always wanting more because that's what others have then you're living the life that God wants you to and that love of Jesus will show through to everyone you interact with.

    I want my children to be independent but still lean on us, happy but remember that there are many less fortunate than us, smart but not boastful and arrogant, healthy but not to the point where they're rigid, and loving.

    ReplyDelete